Local Council of Koniska
Chairman: Papasimakis Demetrius, tel. 6944651118 – 6973537307 – 2641059119
Members: Papasotiriou Panagiotis, Papasimakis Pavlos
Fraternity of Koniskians Εverywhere
It was founded in 1973 in Athens. The original Article of Associatiom consisted of 34 articles and was approved by the First Instance Court of Athens by the No 3738/1973 decision.
18 Harilaou Trikoupi St.
106 79 Athens
Tel: 210 3628851
Historical and Folklore Society of Koniska (ILEK)
It was founded in 1999 to promote folklore and traditional customs of Koniska (Articles of Association in pdf format-1.7 Mb in Greek).
So far, they have organized events related to old farming activities such as hand harvesting, threshing, production of tsipouro, cooking kosmari, a local delicacy, festivals with traditional music, mass roasting of lambs on spit in the central square every Easter. They have also set up a folklore museum in the building of the school and furnished it with traditional tools and objects, they have edited the book "Koniska in Space and Time" by Fotis N. Arkadopoulos, and they generally spread the village traditions and strenghen the ties between the Koniskians.
Τhe administrative board of ILEK is as follows:
Description of Koniska by Demetrius Loukopoulos
One can find here(size 1.1 Mb) an excerpt from the book "Thermos and Apokouro" by Demetrius Loukopoulos referring to Koniska. Loukopoulos travelled in the villages of the Apokouro between the years 1940-1942.
The book was published by Stefanos Stefanopoulos Publications, 6 Ippokratous St.,106 80 Athens, tel +30 210 363-8343) and the copyright belongs to the Society of Apokourites "KOSMAS THE AETOLIAN" 10-12 Lykourgou St., 105 51 Athens, tel. +30 210 324 6869. Pub. year 1990.
The Story of St. Nicholas Church in Enfield, Connecticut, USA
The following text is from Mr. Bruce Oliver's website. This article gives an insight into the Koniskians soul. (NB.The original (Nov. 2008) spelling is preserved)
ST. NICHOLAS GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH
23 Church Street/Organized: 1916
The Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox church occupies a unique place in Enfield. It is not only be sold Greek church in town, but its parish also includes East Windsor, telling 10, Rockville, Summers, Stafford Springs, Suffield, Bernard, Windsor locks, and Windsor.
Although there were Greeks in Enfield prior to 1900, it was this time that many of them were brought into town by the "Company agents" of the Hartford Carpet Co. to work in the carpet mills. As any local or newly congregate people would naturally like to do, there are anxious to keep their old ways and traditions intact. no local church met their needs in the language barrier was forbidding. At the first Greek Orthodox faithful attended church in Springfield. In the case of a wedding or baptism the pastor of the Springfield church came to town and the sacrament was performed in home. one Pioneer remembers that a group went to Springfield by trolley to attend the Anastasis (Resurrection Service) and then it took them to and half hours to walk back because there was no public transportation after midnight.
As more Greek people arrived in town, it became apparent that a church must be provided. A concerted effort was launched in the sites were viewed on Pleasant Street and church Street, but to no avail. It was then mind that the old Orpheum Theater on the present church site was to be sold. A purchase price of $4300 was agreed-upon, including all furnishings, and the necessary renovations started. In December, 1917, only nine months after the certificate organization was off arise, the "church" opened for worship. Descended about 17 years of frustration and searching. For much of the 17 years the services were held in the Emmet Hall at the corner of Pearl and High Streets. The name St. Nicholas was chosen because many members came from Koniska, Greece, and a patron saint of Koniska was St. Nicholas.
Emmett Hall again served as a temporary sanctuary wall par it plans were assembled to rebuild. Plans were submitted at no cost by a Springfield architect who also agreed to supervise the building free of charge. Almost two years went by before the present building was completed an opened on Oct. 25, 1926. It would no longer be necessary to conduct committee meetings in a bakery, coffee house, candy store, grocery store, or barber shop. The new building with a church proper on a main floor in all the basement met their needs for a place of worship and a place for meetings and socials.
designed & hosted by:
Copyright: Not copyrighted